[Qgis-developer] Adding branch protection to github?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 12:59:20 PDT 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 22:31, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Seems like all protections (against force push, deleting and failing tests)
> are a good fit.
>
> There may be instances where some tests are failing on Mac, due to an oddity
> with that platform and not with the actual code per se, i.e. the test needs
> updated for Mac or some Mac-specific bit needs added to source. In light of
> such cases, it might be best to not require that all tests pass for the
> Merge button to be enabled, or it may force some devs to wait until
> Mac-specific issues are addressed first.
>
> If we if strictly enforce all tests pass, maybe there is a way to tell
> Travis that a failure on one of the test platforms is non-critical (Mac),
> but a failure on another (Linux) is. ??

Yes, we can do that. Edit ci/travis/osx/script.sh and modify the
exceptions line (the -E regex) to include the test. Then it'll be
excluded on just OSX but not Linux. You'll see the PyQgsServer test is
already excluded for those very reasons. There's also two tests which
are excluded on every platform (OSM and WCS), as they rely on
unreliable 3rd party services and were occasionally failing for
reasons outside of our control.

Note that failing test protection doesn't block developers with commit
rights from pushing code which fails tests (which I think is a good
thing), it just blocks the merge button on the github page. This means
the reviewer can still manually merge and push the PR if there's a
good reason to allow a failing test in.

Tim can you switch this on our Github repo?

Nyall