[Qgis-developer] Improving ftools geoprocessing tools

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Oct 22 05:06:04 PDT 2015

Am 22.10.2015, 13:30 Uhr, schrieb João Gaspar <joao.f.r.gaspar at gmail.com>:

> Dear QGIS Developers,
>
> I'm writing on behalf of my employer, a company that has mixed,
> proprietary and open source (especially QGIS of course) gis
> infrastructure, with qgis being adopted each day a little more.
> Actually in our migration path we have found a road blocker: the very
> bad performances (and sometimes results) of most of geoprocessing
> tools in the vector menu. Yes I know that there are alternatives in
> the Processing toolbox, but that is not an option for most of our very
> basic users: they need to do simple operations (clips, unions,
> intersections, etc.) with usually very large/detailed vectors (usually
> shapefiles). In this scenario QGIS usually chokes or is at best very
> slow (compared to other gis packages, the ones we are trying to get
> rid of).
>
> What can be done to improve this tools? Rewriting the tools to improve
> efficiency and accuracy?
>
> We available some funds: this is the first time I convince people
> above me to put some money in QGIS development, and a decision would
> need to me made until the end of November tops, otherwise money will
> be used otherwise.
>
> Please leave advice and feedback.
>

> Regards
> João Gaspar

Hi,
I'm not a developer, but a simple user following this list.

My point of view is, that the ftools are just a relict from the past since
the processing toolbox was introduced.
I'm glad that people step up for funding QGIS, but in this particular
case, you would better invest your money and time in lifting your "basic"
users to a little more advanced users and show them how to use the
processing toolbox properly.

As far as I know, the toolbox is nearly feature complete with the ftools
functions, and most of them are so much faster and/or versatile, that I
did not touch the ftools for ages.
Prepare some centrally stored models for reoccuring use cases, and have
happy users ;)

Just my two cents
Bernd

--