[Qgis-developer] QEP - Proposal for QGIS 3.0 after 2.14
nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 12:13:22 PDT 2015
On 24 Oct 2015 23:17, "Jürgen E." <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
> On Sat, 24. Oct 2015 at 13:45:02 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> > Can we not just develop in a separate branch, merge features back into
> > whenever they are ready. Be it before or after release of 2.14 LTR.
> Right, sounds like what I intended to say ;)
> > I am afraid that working on two separate branches will effectively lead
> > imporant work being done twice. Bugfixes forgotten to be ported...
> Sure, that's the risk. I'm also not sure why we have make prediction
> we'll find when porting to py3/pyqt5 and use those to make plans.
> > Why not:
> > * Branch off one py3/pyqt5 development branch now.
> > * Introduce a compile time switch to control if python2 or python3 code
> > binaries should be compiled
> And when we have that, we actually know how large the impact of py3/pyqt5
> and can decide if it's better to merge the branch back to master before
> after. If it's feasible to have a version that supports py2/3, pyqt4/5
> Qt4/5 it's before 2.14 and otherwise it's after.
But keeping the possibility of merging the branch before 2.14 means the api
is locked... That's not ideal, it'll create a lot of (unneeded) extra work.
I'd say allow breaks in the branch, merge after 2.14.
> Jürgen E. Fischer norBIT GmbH Tel.
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Rheinstraße 13 Fax.
> Software Engineer D-26506 Norden
> QGIS release manager (PSC) Germany IRC: jef on
> Qgis-developer mailing list
> Qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Qgis-developer