[Qgis-developer] QEP - Proposal for QGIS 3.0 after 2.14

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sat Oct 24 15:10:54 PDT 2015

Hi Nyall,

On Sun, 25. Oct 2015 at 06:13:22 +1100, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> But keeping the possibility of merging the branch before 2.14 means the api
> is locked... That's not ideal, it'll create a lot of (unneeded) extra work.
> I'd say allow breaks in the branch, merge after 2.14.

Well, if we explore if there is a smooth migration path to PyQt5 first, there
might be a way to have 2.14 also support Qt5 and PyQt5 - so we might be able to
have a 2.14 working on OSX with Qt5.  That's why we're in a hurry, right?  But
frankly OSX is not really a priority for me.

For Debian (not so sure about Ubuntu) and Windows the Qt switch is not that
pressing (IIRC last time we discussed that meant after 2.14 goes out of
maintaince - so no need to have both Qts, both pythons and both PyQts in
OSGeo4W).

Anyway, we can probably also use our findings in the new branch to update
master just in that direction before 2.14.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de