[Qgis-developer] Future GDAL version?

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Oct 25 06:32:35 PDT 2015

Hi devs,

in a workshop here was GDAL newer versions discussed, eg. use of
ElasticSearch possibility and other new and coming benefits.

Then I tried to find aswers to situation of GDAL 2.x development in QGIS
and found 2 related texts,

First related:  Bug report #12479 made by Mark Johnson 7 months ago,
which describes situation of the changes needed.

Second related; One month ago (24/9) Ragi Burhum asked (I didn't find
any reply for this):
"2.- The second question is related to GDAL versions. Our tool relies
heavily on GDAL/OGR and I am curious if there are any plans to switch
GDAL 2.0 anytime soon? If not, we can back port a lot of our changes,
but I wanted to understand what was the release plan before we started
pushing one way vs another."

So my question: Is there a plan to upgrade version of GDAL to 2.x and
what's the target QGIS version?

Best regards,
Kari
PS: There might be also some othe benefits in this upgrade! ;)

--
Kari Salovaara
Hanko, Finland

"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart."
  ~ Elizabeth Andrew