[Qgis-developer] Distance calculation accuracy ?

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 00:48:24 PDT 2015

Hi all

Someone reported to me an issue with $length distance calculation and the
"Distance" map tool. It seems to him QGIS was not precise enough compared
to field data collection (about 10% or worst discrepency)

I remember reading some discussions here about wrong distance calculations
in some contexts.
Has anyone a "cookbook" or good practices about distance calculations in
QGIS, regarding different data sources, contexts, SCR, etc. ( on the fly
reprojection or not, data provider, etc.)

Thanks in advance
Michaƫl