[Qgis-developer] Announcing the release of QGIS 2.12 'Lyon'

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Oct 26 05:36:06 PDT 2015

QGIS is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System
that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows.

We are very pleased to announce the release of QGIS 2.12 'Lyon'. Lyon was the
host city to our developer meet up in April 2012.

Latest Release

This is another regular release following our four monthly schedule.  It again
brings many nice new features to QGIS.

Please also note that we're constantly keeping our long term release QGIS 2.8
'Wien' in good shape to better suit more conservative production setups.

New Features in QGIS 2.12 'Lyon'

QGIS 2.12 includes many great new features, tweaks and enhancements to make the
most popular Free desktop GIS even more feature filled and useful.  Visit the
visual changelog that highlights some of the new additions
(http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog212/).

Whenever new features are added to software they introduce the possibility of
new bugs - if you encounter any problems with this release, please file a
ticket on the QGIS Bug Tracker (http://hub.qgis.org).

The source code and binaries for Windows, Debian and Ubuntu are already
available via the large download link on our home page: http://qgis.org.  More
packages will follow as soon as the package maintainers finish their work.
Please revisit the page if your platform is not available yet.

Thanks

Finally we would like to thank our official sponsors for the invaluable
financial support they provide to this project:

	GOLD Sponsor: Asia Air Survey, Japan
	SILVER Sponsor: AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Poland
	SILVER Sponsor: State of Vorarlberg, Austria
	SILVER Sponsor: Office of Public Works, Ireland, Ireland
	SILVER Sponsor: Sourcepole AG, Switzerland
	BRONZE Sponsor: Lutra Consulting, UK
	BRONZE Sponsor: WhereGroup GmbH & Co. KG, Germany
	BRONZE Sponsor: Nicholas Pearson Associates, UK
	BRONZE Sponsor: QGIS Poland, Poland
	BRONZE Sponsor: www.terrelogiche.com, Italy
	BRONZE Sponsor: GeoSynergy, Australia
	BRONZE Sponsor: Gaia3D, South Korea
	BRONZE Sponsor: Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
	BRONZE Sponsor: Chartwell Consultants Ltd, Canada
	BRONZE Sponsor: Trage Wegen vzw, Belgium
	BRONZE Sponsor: GFI - Gesellschaft für Informations technologie mbH, Germany
	BRONZE Sponsor: GKG Kassel,(Dr.-Ing. Claas Leiner), Germany
	BRONZE Sponsor: GIS-Support, Poland
	BRONZE Sponsor: ADLARES GmbH, Germany
	BRONZE Sponsor: www.molitec.it, Italy
	BRONZE Sponsor: www.argusoft.de, Germany
	BRONZE Sponsor: Customer Analytics, USA
	BRONZE Sponsor: Avioportolano Italia, Italy
	BRONZE Sponsor: Faculty of Geology,
                        Geophysics and Environmental Protection,
                        AGH, University of Science and Technology, Poland
	BRONZE Sponsor: Urbsol, Australia
	BRONZE Sponsor: MappingGIS, Spain
	BRONZE Sponsor: GIS3W, Italy

A current list of donors who have made financial contributions large and small
to the project can be seen on our donors list
(http://qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html#list-of-donors). If you would
like to become and official project sponsor, please visit our sponsorship page
(http://qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html#sponsorship) for details.
Sponsoring QGIS helps us to fund our six monthly developer meetings, maintain
project infrastructure and fund bug fixing efforts.

QGIS is Free software and you are under no obligation to pay anything to use it
- in fact we want to encourage people far and wide to use it regardless of what
your financial or social status is - we believe empowering people with spatial
decision making tools will result in a better society for all of humanity.

Happy QGISing!

Regards,

The QGIS Team!

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode