[Qgis-developer] Mac install via brew?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Oct 31 15:34:29 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
wrote:

> Hi Mac users,
>
> in this issue
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/issues/281
>
> somebody suggests to install qgis via:
>
> brew cask install qgis
>
> as I'm not into this, I ask Mac users/devs to let me know if it is wise
> to use this option or not. If you let this know in the issue discussion
> I can decide how to close that one.

The cask project is merely a means of automating Mac drag/drop or package
installers of applications via the *command line*, nothing more. So in this
instance, the QGIS cask install is a third-party install method (cask) of a
third-party installer (kyngchaos). It bares no responsibility or obligation
to the QGIS project or the Kyngchaos.com project, whose installer it
downloads and installs, nor involves any long standing Mac developers
associated with the QGIS project.

I highly recommend avoiding listing such an install method on the QGIS
website, especially since a user can just get the same installer directly
from the project-recognized packager, Kyngchaos.com.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota