[Qgis-developer] Mac install via brew?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Oct 31 16:13:26 PDT 2015

Hi,

Here are some other considerations:

Cask's simplicity obfuscates necessary communication. If you look at the
[qgis cask formula](
https://github.com/caskroom/homebrew-cask/blob/master/Casks/qgis.rb) you
will see it automates several installs, **all** of which have very
important README files that the user should read during every
install/update/upgrade.

Also, considering William at Kyngchaos.com has bundled the GDAL Complete
frameworks into the application bundle for QGIS 2.12. It makes no sense to
use a third-party installation method of that installer.

I also would not consider installing Homebrew, then adding cask, then
running the install commands (all via command line Terminal sessions)
simpler than downloading a DMG and double-clicking the installer.

All 'official' QGIS installers should be stored on OSGeo resources and
distributed via the QGIS project's web site and be supported by the actual
developers/packagers that created them, not via some third-party middleman
style installation with no obligations or responsibility to the QGIS
project.

Another aspect is trust. The official Mac (and possibly Windows) installers
will soon be code signed with valid certificates. With the cask project,
there is no guarantee or chance to check that the installation is from the
trusted source (other than a internal hash check), as compared to visually
verifying all of this through the standard Apple installer utilities, e.g.
double-clicking and running the .pkg installers, where the entire
certificate trust chain can be reviewed.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota