[Qgis-developer] What's your view on QGIS plugins that connect to non-GPL software?

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue Sep 8 06:13:26 PDT 2015

Hello Crispin,

On 08/09/2015 14:10, Crispin Cooper wrote:
> Hi qgis-developers,
> I produce my own network analysis software sDNA (www.cardiff.ac.uk/sdna
> <http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/sdna>).  It currently runs as a plugin for
> ArcGIS or Autocad, from the command line, with a standalone GUI, or
> through a Python API.
> We would like to create a QGIS plugin that allows people to use sDNA
> from inside QGIS.  sDNA is free but not open source, still I believe
> this can be done within the terms of the GPL by running sDNA in a
> separate process with pipe or file communication.  That said, I’d like
> to know whether a plugin that loosely connects to proprietary software
> would be welcome in the first place.

Some (almost 100%) sure things :
* a Python "import" means GPL "contamination"
* Calling an external process communicating through pipe or file does
not imply GPL contamination

I would say that it is safe to have a qgis plugin calling a proprietary
external process.
That said, I also think that your external process should not be a
necessary part to run your software, otherwise it may be considered as a
strong connection or inclusion, and be subject to GPL contamination. If
it is optional, no problem. This specific point has to be verified
though, not 100% sure.

Vincent