[Qgis-developer] What's your view on QGIS plugins that connect to non-GPL software?

Crispin Cooper CooperCH at cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Sep 8 05:10:27 PDT 2015

Hi qgis-developers,

I produce my own network analysis software sDNA (www.cardiff.ac.uk/sdna<http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/sdna>).  It currently runs as a plugin for ArcGIS or Autocad, from the command line, with a standalone GUI, or through a Python API.

We would like to create a QGIS plugin that allows people to use sDNA from inside QGIS.  sDNA is free but not open source, still I believe this can be done within the terms of the GPL by running sDNA in a separate process with pipe or file communication.  That said, I'd like to know whether a plugin that loosely connects to proprietary software would be welcome in the first place.

What are your thoughts?

Best regards

Crispin

--
Dr Crispin Cooper
Sustainable Places Research Institute, Cardiff University