[Qgis-developer] Updating field with a trigger

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Wed Sep 9 23:50:24 PDT 2015

Hi Yves,

I have only experience with PostgreSQL but I assume that sqlite behaves
similar. If you edit a feature in QGIS your layer is in edit mode
(allowing for undo/redo). Changes are committed only when you click on
the respective button. This results in an update statement sent to your
db which then calls your trigger. Thus field#2 is not changed when you
change #1 _in QGIS_. In order to have such behaviour AFAIK you would
have to do it in Python (which would be totally independent from the db
trigger then).

Apart from that if
field#2 = field#1 + x
then field#2 is totally redundant. You could either create a view
containing this field or create a virtual field in QGIS.

Bernhard