[Qgis-developer] proj.4 new codes

sebastic sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 22 05:05:57 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-22 13:45, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 22/09/2015 13:41, sebastic ha scritto:
>
>> I have to divide my time over many packages, so I can't fully dedicate
>> it to preparing the next GDAL transition (to 1.11.3 or 2.0.1 if the
>> reverse dependencies all work with GDAL 2.0). merkaartor was one of
>> the
>> packages known not to support GDAL 2.0 and its development has been
>> dead
>> upstream for quite some time, fortunately Ladislav Láska has picked up
>> merkaartor development again, so we'll soon have an updated merkaartor
>> package in Debian unstable that does support GDAL 2.0. Other GDAL 2.0
>> incompatibilities are still expected in the other reverse
>> dependencies,
>> so chances are good we'll migrate to GDAL 1.11.3 in Debian before
>> switching to GDAL 2.0.
>
> thanks. is merkaartor a good reason to hold a very important package
> like gdal? wouldn't it be better to drop it until ready?

With the terrible state the josm package is in since the upstream
developers switched to JCS and the problems experienced trying to
package it, having an alternative OSM editor available is very valuable.

Is QGIS important enough to hold back GRASS or osgEarth releases? The
answer depends on which user you ask.

If you want speeder updates in Debian, additional contributors are
required to share the work load. Or employ me to dedicate my time at
$DAYJOB to packaging too. Neither of which is likely to happen, so we
have to make do with limited resources (time mostly) we've got.

Kind Regards,

Bas