[Qgis-developer] New authentication system ready

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Tue Sep 22 10:48:34 PDT 2015

Hi,

The authentication system I have been working on for about a year is now
available for testing [PR 2330, QEP 14]. Would like to get people's
opinions on whether I can push this to master for upcoming release (and
maybe a vote on the QEP). Most of the code is bolt-on extra classes or
spliced-in GUI widgets, with very little actual core integration (see
second commit of PR).

Here's what is included:

* Master-password-encrypted authentication configurations stored in an
SQLite database
* Authentication method plugin architecture (like data providers)
* Basic auth method plugin
* Basic plugin integrated with PostGIS and OWS provider connections
* Inline with current username/password setup (still fully functional)
* SSL server connection configurations (save exceptions or custom configs
for SSL connection errors)

Check out the "6. Further Improvements" section of the rendered QEP.

PKI authentication related (why I was originally tasked to build the
system):

* Import extra Certificate Authorities, intermediate cert issuers and
personal identity bundles
* Manage certificate components like in Firefox
* Authentication method plugins for PEM and PKCS#12 bundles on disk, and
for stored personal identities
* Integrated with OWS provider connections (PostGIS and other databases
will take a bit more work)

Check out the example docs on PKI for a quick introduction to the whole
authentication system.

PR #2330:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2330

QEP #14: