[Qgis-developer] Writing GUI for QGIS<-->iOS/Android Sync Tool and GDAL 2.0

Ragi Burhum ragi at amigocloud.com
Wed Sep 23 18:46:59 PDT 2015

Hello qgis-devs,

A co-worker and I are working on optimizing a few things for our QGIS <-->
iOS/Android sync tool and we have a few questions. By the way, in case you
are interested about the tool itself, you can read this:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2015-September/033717.html

We have two questions:

1.- What is the recommended way to add a specialized GUI? I realize there
is a python plugin architecture - we'd be happy to code against that. But I
also noticed that we could go the route of a Qt dialog
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/4d681f03c64478918d8db8096b736bd055a56846/src/gui>
and
we could definitely go that route, too. Is there a particular advantage
about using one vs the other beyond language choice?

2.- The second question is related to GDAL versions. Our tool relies
heavily on GDAL/OGR and I am curious if there are any plans to switch GDAL
2.0 anytime soon? If not, we can back port a lot of our changes, but I
wanted to understand what was the release plan before we started pushing
one way vs another.

Thank you for reading this far!

- Ragi