[Qgis-developer] Moving towards QGIS3?

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue Aug 23 09:24:25 PDT 2016

Hi,

Thanks Paolo for raising this.

I do think we should :
- set a definite release objective for 3.0 ( date / content)
- minimize the risk of not reaching this goal

On 23/08/2016 16:34, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all,
> reading the list at:
> https://github.com/qgis/qgis3.0_api/issues
> it seems to me that some items have already been addressed, some maybe
> even fixed. Could you confirm which ones are still valid?

This list is a good start for gathering what is needed for 3.0. It is
named QGIS3_api, so I imagine that it only contains modifications we
want in the API ? It would be good to have a full list of things we want
to have for 3.0.

> Should we prioritize the remaining items, or redefine them as
> necessary|useful|nice to have, so we know the minimum set to complete
> for 3.0 release?

It would be great if we could :
- have a full list of things we would like to see in 3.0, and especially :
  - API breaks
  - Code refactoring
- Then qualify them as necessary/useful/nice to have, discussing in the
tickets whenever assigned labels are not trivial to set or not everybody
agrees
- Then get an approximation of time/funding needed for necessary issues
(at least these ones)
- ...so that we can secure funding for the necessary issues ( at least).
Maybe through the Grant Program or QGIS.org funds ?
- ...so we can communicate with confidence on a 3.0 release date

First steps are to be done by the developers, the sooner the better.
How does that sound to you ? seems doable ? Nice way to proceed ? Do we
have alternative strategies ?

We do need to have a clear communication on the 3.0, and be confident in
it. I do think releasing in Feb. 2017 is doable, but we should state
this, so that users can be prepared, and developers continue to work
towards this aim.
If we have a better idea of the effort needed, then we can improve our
developement efforts, our (own) funding effort, and improve external
fundraising if needed.

My 2 cents,

Vincent