[Qgis-developer] QEP about Multimap support for QGIS

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 02:34:01 PDT 2016

Hi,
This is a long awaited feature, partially fullfilled by DockableMirrorMap
and Auxiliary windows plugins. I'm glad someone reactivates work in that
area :)
Keeping it simple in API and in UX are the main obstacles. QGIS was seen as
a user friendly GIS because there was no hard multimap ergonomy. We must
find our way to have it pretty simple in a user point of view. Composer's
redesign into Layout is also deeply impacted.

+1 for a QEP, there are so much changes implied in that, UX, API, but also
map and layer presets that currently allow the multimap workflow.

Cheers
Régis

> Alvaro,
>
> as I can see in github repository,  at:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/compare/master...ahuarte47:
> Feature_MultimapView
>
> As I can see, your  MultimapView  will change many calls, adding
> parameters.
> I suppose therefore that almost all plugins will have to take account of
> these new parameters and need to be changed, it is no longer compatible.
> We can not adopt a "soft" technique, in the sense that new parameters can be
> optional ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Roberto

Régis Haubourg