[Qgis-developer] Proposal: Having all Processing providers as independent components

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:25:48 PST 2016

> Hi Victor,
> about this, we need to think of upgrading process so that a user raising
> QGIS version will have no choice but to also upgrade the locally installed
> stuff (providers, algs, ..) to avoid version conflicts. We should probably
> then have some metadata with min and max processing version for providers
> and algorithms to ensure consistency.

Yes, we should watch that, but the mechanism for adding algorithms
into Processing hasnt changed in a while, and is not likely to cause
issues. In any case, now Processing cannot be updated separately from
QGIS, so it should be enough to define in the plugin the min and max
versions of QGIS, as usual

> It might be a way full of caveats probably. Also, does that fit with the
> idea from Matthias and Nyall of having core processing capabilities to have
> them enabled in Android (or any python unfriendly platform) ?.

I like that idea very much (i have to reply to that email, BTW...),
and this is not a problem. Functionality will be put into core and
then wrapped by Processing. Most likely that core functionality, when
exposed through Processing, will be added to the native QGIS
Processing provider, so it will be a core stuff in Processing as well.
And if not, the functionality will be there in QGIS, although not
exposed through Processing, but the user could add the corresponding
provider easily

About the idea of putting core classes like GeoAlgorithm, etc in core,
this should no affect that at all.

Thanks for your ideas!