[Qgis-developer] Processing NG/V2 - brainstorming

Médéric Ribreux mederic.ribreux at medspx.fr
Wed Dec 7 04:29:17 PST 2016

Le 2016-12-05 11:42, johnrobot a écrit :
> Hi
> I would very much like to see improvements for Processing. A few
> additional
> ideas:
>
> - Display the number of features going through the model. This would
> help
> the user understand the data better.
>
> - Add comments to model components without opening each component. A
> chance
> to explain why a specific tool is used.
>
> - Support clustering/grouping for a set of model components that
> together
> perform a task. Placing a few components inside a visual box would make
> the
> model more structured and easier to understand.
>
> - A server side component where users can log in and run a model/job,
> such
> as extracting data for a selected area and downloading it in a format
> that
> suits the user. This environment should also provide an admin
> interface, log
> files, scheduled jobs etc.
>
> - Watch a file/folder/database table and run the model when a change is
> detected. Option for sending the user an email when the job is
> completed.
>

> Magnus

Hello,

if we'd like to compete with FME, I think that we need a shell tool to
run jobs without a graphic engine (or at least without an opened
graphical user session). It could be used on dedicated
servers to run a series	of jobs	during the night. FME has the same
sort of	tool (in fme.exe).

I think	that this script (probably coded in Python) should be included
into QGIS core to provide a better support and integration with
Processing. The	jobs could be defined in .model files like those in
Processing modeler and we could	add some dynamic parameters to re-use
the model for different	sources/targets.

This script could also be used as the "worker" behind an
administrative web interface or	something similar.

Cheers
--
Médéric RIBREUX
https://medspx.fr