[Qgis-developer] Today I almost build QGIS on Linux... but it fails

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 02:39:41 PST 2016

 Hi,
*Disclaimer*: I'm a long-term Windows user who is learning Linux. And I'm
not a developer so be patient.

Before I pulled a request to master branch I decided this time to build
QGIS and check my changes. I often heard people say "Use Linux; it's so
easy to do that". And while a year (or more) ago I completely fail to
understand which version of tools I should install to do that on Windows (7
or 8), this time it looks very straightforward.
I followed instructions at http://htmlpreview.github.io/?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qgis/QGIS/master/doc/INSTALL.html
(note that it should be updated as there still is:
- a section entitled Qt4
<https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qgis/QGIS/master/doc/INSTALL.html#toc4>
while its content is all about Qt5 and, Qt4 has nothing to do with QGIS 3
if I'm not wrong
- a section entitled Qt5
<https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://raw.github.com/qgis/QGIS/master/doc/INSTALL.html#toc12>
which warns you about using Qt5)

So, I followed these instructions, regardless Qt4 title:
- create the same folders at the same places
- run "ccmake .." indicate the $home/apps folder as destination folder for
the application (CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX)
- run "make"
-  and then run "make install", showing many lines that point to my apps
dir. I get a failure due to right access to some folder (I don't know why).
So I run "sudo make install" which went till the end with no failure (that
i can see)

But when all this finishes tens of minutes later, my home/apps dir remains
EMPTY. No QGIS to launch!

If someone has an idea where I should investigate thanks very much. Or if
you need me provide more information, let me know...

Thanks,
Harrissou