[Qgis-developer] Looking for advices to avoid breaking translated strings

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Dec 22 05:42:47 PST 2016

Hi Harrissou

On 12/22/2016 02:31 PM, DelazJ wrote:
> Let's take a reported typo: "cellsize" instead of "cell size". If I
> check Transifex, we currently have 19 strings that contain this word. So
> if the replacements are done in QGIS source files, when these ones are
> pushed to transifex, these strings will be replaced and because of this
> tiny difference, the translations already done for ALL languages will be
> deconnected, hence lost.

At least the translated text should be proposed to the translator if the
source string is still similar. So it does not need to be completely
rewritten.

> I've been thinking about a process and wonder if it'll work (and will
> require someone with write access):
>
> - Pull translations from Transifex
> - have a PR in which besides fixing strings in the source code, their
> duplicate in /i18n folder are also fixed. In this case the .ts file
> contains the cleaned text linked to the existing translation
> - then merge the commit
> - and push it again to transifex

I am not sure if in this case the whole transifex translation will be
overwritten and any new translations added between opening the pull
request and pushing to transifex will be lost.

It would probably be safer if it would be merged first and then someone
takes care of doing

 tx pull
 ... adjust translations ...
 tx push (-t I think?)

in a short timeframe to reduce the risk of collisions

Matthias