[Qgis-developer] Future of the GDALTools plugin

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 01:02:11 PST 2016

On 24 Dec 2016 02:23, "Alexander Bruy" <alexander.bruy at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

some time ago I submitted a QEP about removing fTools and GDALTools
plugins and replacing them with Processing [0, 1]. fTools plugin was
removed,
but GDALTools still here. IMHO it would be good to drop GDALTools in QGIS
3.0.

Right now Processing offers same functionality as GDALTools plugin and even
tools which are not available in GDALTools. Also it receives much more
attention
and bugfixes. For example, if a user creates with the field calculator
a new column
in a vector to be used for some operation within GDALTools, then this column
is not recognized (but it is in the equivalent tool in Processing) and
this is not
only one problem.

Are there any objections to remove GDALTools?

Big +1 from me in general. But if I recall correctly a blocker from this in
the past was that the gdaltools versions show the command line equivalent
syntax while the processing versions do not.

Is this still considered a blocker and if so, is there plans to address
this before dropping the plugin.

Nyall

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/54
[1] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QEP-Dropping-
fTools-GdalTools-in-favor-of-Processing-td5247519.html

--
Alexander Bruy