[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Please test length/area measurement in master

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Mon Feb 15 14:34:17 PST 2016

Hi Nyall,

Thanks for your work on this issue(s) and esp. the unit tests.

I did a swift test with a 100km vector grid using master version 5d989ab (which probably does not contain all your changes?).

Area measurements are consistent across field calculator and identify tool. However, the field calculator (using an 8 digits numeric field) shows some minor and probably neglectable imprecisions (e.g. compared to GRASS). GRASS reports exacly 10000000000.00000000 m2, while the field calculator gives something like 10000000000 +/- 0.0005 (OTF off).

With OTF on measurements differ significantly compared to GRASS and OTF off, due to ellipsoidal metric used with OTF on I guess. Personally, I find this difference confusing, but I trust the difference in behavior btw. OTF on and off is a deliberate choice of the more accurate area measure?!

Choosing no measurement ellipsoid in the project settings gives the same behavior as OTF off.

Kind regards,
Stefan