[Qgis-developer] [Server] performance questions

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Tue Feb 23 07:11:25 PST 2016

Andrea Peri wrote
> I Guess the time difference between the qgis desktop and qgis-server
> when using a postgres,
>
> is due to the protocol.
> Infact the http is a connection-less session-less protocoll,
> so after every map the qgis-server disconnect from postgres.
>
> Instead when you work on a qgis desktop as a user on its own pc you
> are connectin with a postgres and sray connected for all the time.
>
> So the postgres don't waste time to open and staryup your connection.
>
> Also don't forget that if you stay about 18-20 minutes without do
> nothing on qgis in a postgres connection.
> The postgres kill your connection and your qgis go in crazy state.
>
> A.

Hi Andrea,
You are right for the overhead part. This would not big a big issue if we
did not have the overhead on postgres side for extent querying on SQL views.
The same dataset in shape is open fast even at first connection.
We use pgpool here so we do not have such trouble with idle connections
being killed.
Cheers
Régis