[Qgis-developer] [QGIS-UX] What is "Discourage other labels from covering features in this layer" option in layer properties?

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 06:39:41 PST 2016

Hi,
I'd like to know what's the current state of this issue.
I've made a suggestion of design but it was before rule-based labeling
support. Anita asked for a mockup but I'm not sure I can efficiently design
one; so write some ideas

Currently, you can:
- label a layer and discourage labels from other layers to cover its
features
- discourage labels from other features to cover features of a not labeled
layer
But what if I want to label a layer and don't want to see labels from other
layers cover its features? I suppose I need to add it twice (a labeled one
and a "discouraged" one).

To improve the dialog and help fix the issue above, what about :
- adding at the top of the dialog a checkbox with "Discourage other labels
from covering features in this layer".
- and keeping in the current listbox : 'No Labels', 'Show labels for this
layer', 'Rule-based labeling'.
These two options will be independent from each other, meaning that you can
choose to "discourage other labels from covering features" (or not) for
either a labeled or not labeled layer.

(Thinking loudly)
Maybe the "Discourage other labels from covering features in this layer"
could be a checkable group box with the obstacles parameters moved inside.
However, I am not able to see how Obstacles features will behave in case of
rule-based labeling.

Harrissou