[Qgis-developer] Vertex editor and CAD digitizing mode

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 02:00:37 PST 2016

Hi Marco,

Looking at the discussion [0], I don't see strong opinions against this,
but indeed the node was not usable, many of its features where missing.
Here is the list of remaining things to do to bring it at a usable state
at that time [1].

While discussing refactoring of the node tool for circular strings,
which went without any QEP, I was asking to use the new snapping API and
to integrate it in the advanced digitizing tools. I thought we agree at
that time.

I find a real pity that such a big change was not integrated into
existing effort. Now, it will make things even more complicated.

I admit that, one year earlier, the first discussion did not yield to a
solid agreement [2]. Although, this is the kind of behavior that is not
really easy to speak about until you really tested it. I have a solid
belief that click-click is the right approach since:
- people using it find it better
- other QGIS tools behave the same
- it allows integration of CAD tools, cancelation of current editing
action with right-click, and avoids digitizing errors.

We had the same type of discussion when we remove the fact that right
click was adding a last node to the digitized line or polygon.
Some were strongly against any change, but from now it looks much more
natural.

So, yes, effort will start again to make the node tool more integrated
into existing framework and workflows.
Although, it will be brought to QGIS 3, so it might be easier for such a
change.

Best regards,

Denis

[0]