[Qgis-developer] Free WPS service for research in data mining and computational biology

Gianpaolo Coro gianpaolo.coro at isti.cnr.it
Thu Jan 14 03:02:41 PST 2016

Dear QGIS developers,
at the National Research Council of Italy in Pisa we have just released
a free WPS service running in a distributed e-Infrastructure and using
Cloud computing behind the scenes. The name of the service is DataMiner
and collects several methods developed by computational biology,
oceanography and data mining communities. We have successfully tested
this service with QGIS and we would like to make it available among the
default WPS services in the official distribution of QGIS.

The service usage is free, after obtaining a token on our projects Web
portal (http://i-marine.d4science.org) and subscribing to one of our
Virtual Research Environments. The available algorithms change according
to the VRE.

The access point to this distributed network of web services is
http://dataminer.d4science.org/wps/WebProcessingService

To make the service work you need to provide a user token. Here is one
user name and token for testing purposes:
statistical.manager/2f993647-a724-4f47-abec-968717beaa70

Sample calls:
*Capabilities in the testing VRE:*
http://dataminer.d4science.org/wps/WebProcessingService?service=WPS&Request=GetCapabilities
*Input of the DBScan algorithm:*
http://dataminer.d4science.org/wps/WebProcessingService?Request=DescribeProcess&Service=WPS&Version=1.0.0&Identifier=org.gcube.dataanalysis.wps.statisticalmanager.synchserver.mappedclasses.clusterers.DBSCAN
*Execution of DBScan:*
http://dataminer.d4science.org/wps/WebProcessingService?request=Execute&service=WPS&Version=1.0.0&lang=en-US&Identifier=org.gcube.dataanalysis.wps.statisticalmanager.synchserver.mappedclasses.clusterers.DBSCAN&DataInputs=OccurrencePointsClusterLabel=OccClustersTest;epsilon=10;min_points=1;OccurrencePointsTable=http://goo.gl/VDzpch;FeaturesColumnNames=depthmean|sstmnmax|salinitymean;

Some documentation is available here
https://wiki.gcube-system.org/gcube/DataMiner_Installation
Surrounding papers about the back-end system are
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cpe.3030/abstract and
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cpe.3435/abstract

Thank you very much for your attention and I hope you will help me
understanding how to embed the WPS link within QGIS releases.

Regards,
Gianpaolo Coro