[Qgis-developer] Managing Python dependencies automatically for the user

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Jan 14 13:00:04 PST 2016

Hi

> On 14 Jan 2016, at 18:06, Pablo Fernández Moniz <pablofernandezmoniz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>  We are currently developing a QGIS plugin were we wish to generate some Excel files as output.
>
>  In order to build the spreadsheet file we need to use some python modules installed from pip (openpyxl, xlwt, etc). This dependency will force every user to manually install the needed package form the pip repository.
>
>  This situation leaves us with the following question: is possible or it will be in the future to manage this kind of dependencies from QGIS side when the user installs the plugin?

Although it has been discussed and some prototyping was done to support automatic installation of dependencies at the last hackfest, there isn’t anything in the released versions of QGIS to support this yet. If your packages have no operating system specific binaries in them, then I suggest to bundle them into your plugin and use an appropriate import path relative to your code. Note there is a limit on how big your plugin can be (I think it is 10mb) so you need to ensure your 3rd party deps do not bulk out your plugin too much.

Regards

Tim