[Qgis-developer] Standard Development/Build Environment

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Jan 18 10:47:30 PST 2016

Hi Robb,

There is no standard.

Concerning the OS, a lot of dev's use Linux, therefore anybody using
something else is even more welcome :)

If you want your setup to be done quickly, go for the latest Ubuntu or
Fedora linux, clone the git repository, rerun cmake a couple of times,
and install the missing dependencies (-dev or -devel packages). Just
take whatever is offered by the system's repository, the lib versions
should be compatible if it's a recent distribution.

I recently wrote some documents for git and QtCreator (which I did not
yet finalize but plan to put them onto the QGIS web page soon):

https://github.com/m-kuhn/QGIS-Website/blob/qtcreator.rst/source/site/getinvolved/development/git.rst
https://github.com/m-kuhn/QGIS-Website/blob/qtcreator.rst/source/site/getinvolved/development/qtcreator.rst

It would be great to have a comprehensive reference to get new
developers up to speed with a small initial effort. Please let me know
if you find anything that could be improved.

Best regards,
Matthisa