[Qgis-developer] Help us plan for QGIS 3.0

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Tue Jan 19 02:48:40 PST 2016

Hi,

On 19/01/2016 11:08, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 19/01/2016 10:38, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
>> On 17-01-16 23:03, Tim Sutton wrote:
>>> [1] http://blog.qgis.org/2016/01/17/help-us-to-plan-for-qgis-3-0/
>>
>> Dev's,
>>
>> Nobody else?
>
> My suggestion:
> * release 2.14 LTR
> * move immediately to 3.0
> * backport all fixes to 2.14, as usual for LTR
> * allow for exception for new functions, on a case by case basis, if
> these are especially important, of limited impact, and needed soon, well
> before the expected release of 3.0 (I know this is against the LTR
> concept, that's why I think it should be exceptional)

So a 2.14.x with possibly new features ... why not.

I am also in favor of the approach number 1: focus on the 3.0 rather
than "release when it's ready".

I think I would prefer to have another version in the 2.x branch (2.16)
to let people propose the features they are working on (even if I admit
the 3.0 version has been proposed as the next version since months)

Just an idea: what about a 2.16 being an LTR rather than the 2.14 ?

The blog post says for the approach 1 the main risk is a lack of
funding. Do we have some ideas of the amount of work needed ?