[Qgis-developer] Visual changelog and animated gifs

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Jul 6 03:06:10 PDT 2016

Hi

> On 06 Jul 2016, at 11:16 AM, Neumann, Andreas <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> There are now more animated gifs in the visual changelog (http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/version/2.16.0/ <http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/version/2.16.0/>). While I agree that the animations are quite useful, I think they should only start playing if the user klicks on it or hovers the mouse over it. Otherwise it looks really horrible if there are too many animations going on on the same page.
>
> There are javascript libraries available for this, e.g. freezeframe: https://github.com/ctrl-freaks/freezeframe.js/
>
> I know, it is not super urgent, but it would greatly enhance usability - maybe for 3.0.
>
> Webpages with too many animations let me freak out. It distracts from the content the user is focusing on.
>
> Any other opinions on this?

Yup I agree - started to notice the same thing after I added the first couple. I will go the freeze frame route because IMHO it is very useful to see the animation if someone wants to figure out how to use the new feature.

As always please file issues at in the changelog tracker and we will happily implement good ideas...

Regards

Tim