[Qgis-developer] Will be submitting new QGIS D3 Chart plugin - experimental or not

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Jul 20 07:38:20 PDT 2016

Hi Calvin,

Il 20/07/2016 16:22, C Hamilton ha scritto:
> I am planning on submitting a new D3 plugin to the QGIS plugins repo.
> This generates a circular heatmap D3 web page that has some similarities
> to the ArcGIS data clock. This is the github link.
>
> https://github.com/NationalSecurityAgency/qgis-d3datavis-plugin
>
> I have done a write up that shows what it does. The question that I have
> is when should a plugin be marked experimental? Are their advantages in
> marking it experimental? I think what I have done so far is fairly solid
> and the only changes will be to improve upon it and perhaps add some
> other charts.
>
> I would appreciate your thoughts before I submit the plugin.

Thanks for that. IMHO the experimental flag is useful if you want to
have a first test from a restricted community of, possibly more skilled,
users before submitting it to a worlwide audience of potentially
hundreds of thousands users. It is imperative if you suspect your plugin
might mess up user data or cause other inconveniences.
Please note that other efforts are underway to use graphical js libs
from within QGIS, so you may find convenient to join forces.
Looking forward to see your plugin, and publish it.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu