[Qgis-developer] WFS Provider Strategies

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed Jul 20 09:03:04 PDT 2016

On 20/07/16 17:51, Even Rouault wrote:
>> In which case does that help? Isn't every cached feature downloaded
>> again (with potentially more up to date information) anyway?
> You get the feeling of a more responsive UI when you can reuse already
> downloaded features, but that's true that if the server content has changed in
> between, you won't get the new version. In which case you'll have to reload
> the layer with F5.
True... Although we could replace the features in the cache instead of
dropping the new ones for a tiny improvement.
>>> Yes it is needed for some use cases. There are servers that have buggy
>>> behaviour with BBOX requests combined with other filters. Or the cost of
>>> solving a spatial request might be super high, making it more practical
>>> to issue a GetFeature without a BBOX.
>> Ok, so it should be a super well hidden checkbox with a big warning sign
>> next to it?
> That really depend on servers. If the current default behaviour is OK for
> most, it might still be useful that the option is not too hidden if users have
> issues with some servers. They might have a better chance of trying to uncheck
> the option. Where would you hide it ?
> Note: this is not new to 2.16 as far as I remember. The option was already
> there.
Well, I was confused and I know of others which are confused.

At the moment it's really hard to tell which is the recommended option
and which one is the "try this if your sever is broken" option. We could
just add a warning if it's unchecked which says "only do this if there
are problems with the default" or put it into an advanced dialog or so.
Have you actually seen such servers? And if yes, can you name them?