[Qgis-developer] Cleaning up the QEP list

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jul 25 02:17:24 PDT 2016

Hi all, Hi Nathan,

I am looking at the QEPs from time to time that and I think it needs a
little attention. Quite a few proposals would be ready to make a
decision. Some QEPs are ready but lack funding. Perhaps we can introduce
a new label stating "Needs funds" or something similar? It would help
potential funders to pick things they like to see implemented. Quite a
few of the proposals are already implemented, sometimes even if they
don't have the "Accepted label" - i guess some of the implementations
had time pressure due to the 2.16 list and thus couldn't wait for
voting/acceptance.

Devs want to start working on many of the issues mentioned in the QEPs -
so decisions need to be taken in a timely manner.

Here are some of my personal suggestions for changes / closings:

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/42
(Compulsory Unit Tests for Core Changes) - discussion stalled - but I
think now would be the perfect timing to implement this proposal.

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/40 (Geometry
redesign) - was implemented already 2 or 3 versions ago - should be
accepted and closed

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/59
(aggregate functions) is accepted, implemented - it can be closed

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/58 (QGIS
Styles, Symbols ans SVG Markers Sharing Repository) - is currently being
implemented by Akbar - shouldn't it be voted on/accepted?

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/53 (WFS
provider enhancements) - is already implemented and should be closed

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/49 (Label
mask) - would be ready to implement, but lacks funding (add the new
"Needs funds" label?)

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/46 (Labling
path) - would be ready to implement, but lacks funding (add the new
"Needs funds" label?)

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/45 (Long
term releases) - implemented - should be closed

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/43 (Rename
Compositions to Print Layouts) - would be good to be addressed during
work for 3.x - can we continue discussion and vote on it?

 - https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/39 (Layout
rework (composer v2)) - Nyall wants to start on this - so it should be
discussed and accepted

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/38
(Inheritable property collections) - unsure about the status here,
apparently it has a prototype implementation. How does this relate to
the variable system introduced recently?

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/37 (Fields
and Forms Redesign) - would be a good candidate to be implemented during
QGIS 3.x - probably lacks funding

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/35
(Authentication configuration system with master password) - already
implemented. Should be accetped and closed.

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/32 (Add QGIS
server access control interface for python plugins) - already
implemented. Should be accepted and closed:

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/31 (QGIS
Legal Entity) - accepted by Loomio vote and mostly implemented. Should
be acepted and closed.

- https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/29 (QGIS
3.0) - discussion maybe a bit outdated? Close?

It would be good, if we, as the project would take the QEPs a bit more
seriously and maintain them accordingly. Seems like some devs do, some
don't. Any comments?

Thanks and greetings,

Andreas