[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Mac with Qt5, PyQt5 and Py3

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Jun 3 13:52:37 PDT 2016

Hi,

Just a quick note... Continuing work I started at the hackfest in Girona, I
have successfully built and run QGIS on Mac off of Homebrew dependencies of
pyqt, sip, qwt, qwtpolar, qscintilla2 and qca specifically configured for
Qt 5 and Python 3.

http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis-qt5-pyqt5-py3.png
This means I am now capable of running installs of qgis2-ltr, qgis2 and
qgis3 (when branched) off of the *same* /usr/local install of Homebrew.
This also means, after some further work, we will be able to upgrade the
Mac Travis CI setup for testing both Qt4/PyQt4/Py2 and Qt5/PyQt5/Py3, as is
currently available for Linux.

While it is possible to do this using multiple isolated Homebrew installs,
that requires almost all dependencies in the non-/usr/local directory to be
compiled, instead of using the prebuilt binaries (aka 'bottles') available
from Homebrew.

Fully bundled test apps are at least a month away.

I have a PR and more Homebrew editing to do (will post more to this thread
later), but just wanted everyone to know it is at least compiling and
launching on Mac!

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography