[Qgis-developer] Report 2 - QGIS Symbology Sharing Tools

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 23:39:29 PDT 2016

> On 05-06-16 09:02, Akbar Gumbira wrote:
>
> > *Are you blocked on anything?*
> > ... In Github or Bitbucket they provide a direct link to
> > the raw file. But I think I should look at more general approach without
> > manipulating the URL depending on the host. If you have some input, I
> > would be happy to assess it.
>
> Thanks Akbar,
>
> I did some googling:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14405782/git-fetch-single-file-from-remote-repository-programatically
> If you really want to keep it git, it looks like a shallow clone/copy is
> the only way? That post also talks about some undocumented feature, but
> I would not depend on that?
>
> Personally I would be ok when both Github and Gitlab/Gog would work (as
> both a closed source and open source member of the git-web-world)...
>
> Or: a script running somewhere on our server, (shallow) cloning all
> registred repositories periodically, and making just the metadata.txt
> files available via http/webserver? (maybe giving us some time to check
> the repo's on structure and (malicious?) content?
>
> Or else: a django app for the metadata...
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Hi Akbar,

The most flexible installation tool that I know is probably python pip.

pip can install software from a zip file, from git and from other sources
too.

I'd suggest you to have a look to pip implementation of the install
functionality, maybe there is some interesting for you.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it