[Qgis-developer] QGIS/Linux on high-resolution displays

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 14:17:46 PDT 2016

Ive just bought a Dell XPS13 which came with Ubuntu 14.04
pre-installed. The screen is 3200 pixels across. Getting applications
to scale properly is a nightmare.

QGIS (and I guess all Qt apps) seems to be the worst. The icons are
microscopic, and the text and other interface elements overlap. It is
unusable. Same for Gimp and Inkscape, but I mostly use QGIS.

I've tried a couple of things: "xrandr --scale" ends up with very slow
performance and poor graphics quality; the scaling slider in the
display settings seems only to work with gnome apps.

Any other suggestions? Can I get QGIS to use larger icons? Do I really
have to wait until QGIS adopts Qt 5.6 which, says the internet, has
proper support for high resolution displays? Or do I have to run my
screen at lower resolution?

Barry