[Qgis-developer] Geocoding plugin: a good case for merge

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 01:36:16 PDT 2016

What about implement GDAL geocoding capabilities in core?

It should probably be implemented as an expression function too...

http://www.gdal.org/ogr__geocoding_8h.html
See: http://www.itopen.it/geocoding-with-gdal/

I don't see any real opportunity to merge the plugins: some of them are
very specific to national geocoders, some other just ignore the TOS of the
webservices they use.

> Hi all,
> over time, we have accumulate a number of plugins for geocoding. Some of
> them are global some are limited to a particular country. See e.g.
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/GeoCoding/
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/GeoCodingKorea/
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/navidata/
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/pdokbaggeocoder/
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/ru_geocoder/
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/geopunt4Qgis/
> https://github.com/sookoll/qgis_plugin_inads_geocoder/
> IMO it would be fare preferable to have a general mechanism, better in
> core, and let people add their services there.
> So the question:
> * given the variety of geocoding services, si this feasible and would it
> make sense?
> * is any of the geocoding plugin developer willing to take this?
> All the best, and thanks.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Alessandro Pasotti