[Qgis-developer] Geocoding plugin: a good case for merge

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Jun 9 01:42:38 PDT 2016

Il 09/06/2016 10:36, Alessandro Pasotti ha scritto:
> What about implement GDAL geocoding capabilities in core?
>
> It should probably be implemented as an expression function too...
>
> http://www.gdal.org/ogr__geocoding_8h.html
> See: http://www.itopen.it/geocoding-with-gdal/

this seems a very good idea. do you have a rough estimate of how much
work is necessary for this?

> I don't see any real opportunity to merge the plugins: some of them are
> very specific to national geocoders, some other just ignore the TOS of
> the webservices they use.

yes, this is clear to me. even if not much code is shared, from the user
point of view having a single menu, with a coherent interface where to
find all the services, would certainly be good.
for instance, the qgis2web was born in this way, and I believe it is a
good success.

All the best, and thanks for your thoughts.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu