[Qgis-developer] Possible QGIS D3 Data Analysis Plugin

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 08:08:56 PDT 2016

I am contemplating writing a visualization plugin that analyzes temporal
patterns in distributions of data in two dimensions similar to the ArcGIS
Data Clock.

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/extensions/tracking-analyst/094-the-data-clock.htm

My first thought would be to have it create the graph as a D3 html page.
The pro to that would be that I would get to learn D3 but also it would
become an interactive graph that would be separate from QGIS. It could be
integrated into a web page. The other option would be to use a python
graphics library to display it within a QGIS window like the Environmental
Data Explorer.

Ultimately, I would envision all sorts of analysis and graphs. Is anyone
already working on a D3 plugin like this?

What are your thoughts? Would anyone be interested in a capability like
this? Would D3 be a good or bad way to implement this?

Thanks,

Calvin