[Qgis-developer] What is the API for opening and displaying HDF5 files through native python console in QGIS?

Adrián Lugo Bendezú adrian.lugo.bendezu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 08:05:03 PDT 2016

Hello,

I would like to kindly ask for help opening a .h5 file, which is the extension for HDF5 file format, through the python console. Specifically I would like to open and display a dataset object (specific object type in HDF5) nested inside a group object (other specific object type in HDF5). I know that QGIS existing functionality allows HDF5 files to be opened and displayed through the GUI. When I use the Layer > Add Layer > Add Raster layer tool and open my desired HDF5 file, a window called “Select raster layers to add…” pops up listing all dataset objects inside my file that would ultimately open as raster files on QGIS. Selecting any of them effectively displays them in the map canvas. However, I would like to know the API for opening and displaying the HDF5 file dataset object through the native python console rather than the toolbar. I expect to be able to use the API to open and display any of the dataset objects within the HDF5 file and potentially provide proper CRS (Coordinate Reference System) for proper georeference. I am using QGIS 2.12.1 Lyon on Windows.

Thanks,

Adrián Lugo Bendezú
Airborne Observation Platform Intern
(NEON) National Ecological Observatory Network
Office: 720.921.2726
www.neonscience.org <http://www.neonscience.org/>