[Qgis-developer] Future of OpenLayers plugin - time to deprecate?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 12:57:06 PDT 2016

On 31 Dec 2015 7:33 AM, "Nyall Dawson" <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The email chain below is just one example of a user who has issues
> with QGIS after installing the OpenLayers plugin. Stackexchange is
> filled with similar examples (See
> http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/qgis-openlayers-plugin).
>
> I'm wondering if it's time we discussed the future of this plugin. Now
> that we have a viable replacement (Quick Map Services) which doesn't
> demonstrate these issues, should we deprecate the OpenLayers plugin
> and remove it from the plugin repo?

Can we revisit this discussion again?

I'm very much in favour of:
1. Removing openlayers plugin from the repo asap. This plugin is broken and
unfortunately is harming the reputation of the project, as many users
cannot distinguish the difference between the plugin's issues and problems
with QGIS itself (eg see
https://twitter.com/thatkindofplace/status/742543174573260800?s=03 )

2. Rename QuickMapServices as "QuickMapServices (OpenLayers replacement)"
on the plugin repo, so users looking for openlayers are nicely directed to
the new plugin

Nyall