[Qgis-developer] Coordinate capture: please consider merging your work

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 12:28:33 PDT 2016

Hi all,

First I want to apologize if I stepped in anyone's toes with latlontools.
This was the first plugin I worked on and I wasn't even thinking about
submitting the plugin. I was trying to learn QGIS plugin development on
something that I would find useful and I had certain needs that the other
plugins did not meet. That being said, I think it will be useful to others
for the DMS support, its versatility with other applications, and to
hopefully bring all the capabilities together. It was essential to me to
more quickly copy and paste coordinates between QGIS, Google Maps, and
other online maps. Because it was saving me so much time I felt others
would find it useful which is why I submitted it.

I just update latlontools with a multi-point zoom to capability. I welcome
your input. It makes it possible to create a list of points that you can
click on to zoom to various locations.

Although I wrote this for myself, it is an accepted plugin so I need to
consider the needs of others. There are certain aspects of some of the
other plugins that I did not implement because I would never use the
features, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't like them so here are
some questions.

1. Does anyone use "Scale View by..." that is part of the "Zoom To
Coordinates" plugin?
2. The one change I made was to order coordinates as "latitude, longitude"
or "Y, X". The other plugins had the reverse order. I did this because that
is the order that Google uses and probably most of the other on-line maps.
Would "X,Y" ordering ever be important? If so, when and why?
3. I intended latlontools to work with geographic latitude and longitude
regardless of the CRS of the project, but I could easily have a setting
that would allow Native CRS coordinates be used as input. Should I?

All the best,

Calvin