[Qgis-developer] Do QGIS and QGIS plugins fall under the same usage rights for scientific publication?

Fox Underwood foxunderwood at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 09:08:13 PDT 2016

QGIS, with citation, can be used for research. Can QGIS plugins
(installable from the plugin list within QGIS Desktop), with citation, also
be used for research? In other words, if someone creates a plugin that's
added to the repository, does the plugin then fall under all the same usage
and copyright rules that QGIS does?

I realise it's splitting hairs and I'm sure it's alright to use the plugin
in research (citing both QGIS and the plugin creator separately), but I was
asked to look into plugin use for copyright reasons before creating more
figures and submitting a paper. I emailed the plugin developer to ask
permission to use the plugin for research purposes. Since I haven't heard
back, I thought I'd ask QGIS developers about usage of plugins found in the
repository.

This page referred me to the QGIS developer mailing list:
http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/QGIS_Citation_Repository

Clarification would be much appreciated. I'm quite happy to be using QGIS
for research now!

Fox