[Qgis-developer] Report 5 - QGIS Symbology Sharing Tools

Akbar Gumbira akbargumbira at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 02:32:46 PDT 2016

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately raw URL is only provided for a
single file, not a directory. As one repository could have many collections
(collection is a directory containing resources), with git protocol, there
are 2 ways downloading a single collection from a repository: git sparse
checkout and git archive. Sparse checkout is not supported in Dulwich nor
in Pygit2 (a Python wrapper using libgit2). And with the 2nd option, Github
doesn't allow git archive.

One other alternative (which I am exploring now) is to clone a repository
the first time user downloads a collection from that repository, and next
time user downloads other collections from that repository, we just need to
update and pull that repository. This is more efficient compared to
downloading the whole repository (using zip url) every time user wants to
download a collection.

We came to the decision that one repository could have many collections in
the first place as it doesn't make sense  (we thought) for users to create
one repository only for one collection.

Cheers