[Qgis-developer] Processing algorithms and API breaks

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 23:28:40 PST 2016

> " first put in place a complete set of tests

Not sure if complete test coverage is possible. There are more that
200 algs only in SAGA backend (and I don't take in account different
SAGA versions)

> * only after that implement a versioning system

IMHO versioning make sence only for 3rd party scripts/models. If we will
version Processing algs, we quickly end up with a mess, as each commit
which fixes alg will produce new alg version inside same Processing version.
So, for example, inside QGIS 2.16 we will have Processing 2.16, some algs
just with 2.16.0 version and multiple versions of other algorithms, e.g 2.16.0,
2.16.1, 2.16.2 and so on.

> IMHO a current major stumbling block for users is the lack of documentation
> for hundreds of algs, many of them quite obscure. Better address this first.

Documentation is another importand topic. There is some movement in this
direction, but again unfortunately we can not cover all Processing algs with
documentation. Reusing existing documentaion (e.g GDAL, SAGA, GRASS)
can help, but as many Processing algs implement only subset of options or
even split one tool into multiple... existing documentation does not match
Processing algorthm

--
Alexander Bruy