[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Windows: order another desktop to accommodate all the icons

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Mar 10 14:06:56 PST 2016

On 2016-03-10 5:38 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently I installed QGIS on Windows to test GRASS 7 support. To my
> surprise QGIS put 5(!) icons to my deskop. I don't know any program
> which installs so many icons to the desktop. Even program such ArcGIS
> puts only one icon ;-) I wouldn't be surprised that some newcomers can
> be confused when trying to understand which icon to use the first time
> ;-)
>
> BTW, uninstall procedure do not remove these icons from desktop.
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

I think this was discussed in January here[1].  I don't know what came
out of that discussion though.  Even though I am aware of the importance
of good docs explaining these icons, in this case for new users on a
Windows system, sitting in a confusing long workshop, one single icon to
"QGIS Desktop 2.14.2" would be very pleasing, for both the workshop
instructors and attendees.

(I remained quiet on this issue earlier because I didn't want to seem
negative, ha)

-jeff

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2016-January/035035.html

--