[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Windows: order another desktop to accommodate all the icons

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Mar 10 17:39:03 PST 2016

Hi Martin,

On Thu, 10. Mar 2016 at 22:38:25 +0100, Martin Landa wrote:
> recently I installed QGIS on Windows to test GRASS 7 support. To my
> surprise QGIS put 5(!) icons to my deskop. I don't know any program
> which installs so many icons to the desktop. Even program such ArcGIS
> puts only one icon ;-) I wouldn't be surprised that some newcomers can
> be confused when trying to understand which icon to use the first time
> ;-)

That because we repackage OSGeo4W packages for the standalone installer and
their postinstall scripts install the icons.  So you also get icons for GRASS
and SAGA for instance.  Not sure if that's bad.

> BTW, uninstall procedure do not remove these icons from desktop.

That might be because the packages' preremove scripts don't remove the icons in
OSGeo4W either.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode