[Qgis-developer] Python 3 and existing plugins while still in 2.x

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 00:08:15 PST 2016

Hi all,

I just saw Matthias' work about compiling QGIS 2.x with Python 3 and I
was wondering what's gonna happen if I build it and open it with already
many installed plugins. I suppose, it will a be a succession of error
messages....

What is the plan there:
* add a new line in plugin metadata to tell if it supports Python 3,
false by default
* run 2to3 dynamically (is this possible?)
* do nothing
* ?

If I understand correctly QGIS 3 will be built with Py3, so this problem
will disappear. Although, if we want early testers of Py3, it'll be good
to have a proper support of existing plugins.
Also, it can encourage people to start upgrading their plugins
progressively.

Any opinion/ideas?

Glad to see this moving, good job Matthias!

Denis