[Qgis-developer] Aggregates within expression engine

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Wed Mar 16 00:56:20 PDT 2016

Hi,
just my 2 ct:
I agree with Paolo that normal users do not know SQL, on the other hand
there might be users that do not know spreadsheet syntax either (e.g. me
:) which spreadsheet BTW: Excel? LO? or do they use the same syntax? SQL
would be a standardized approach (and is the syntax already used in QGIS
expressions). On the other hand if it is possible to "click together"
the expression it doesn't matter which syntax is used, good
documentation and direct help is a must here. If you e.g. choose a SUM
function a GROUP BY woould be added automatically at the end (if not
already there)
SQL is used at so many places in QGIS: layer filters, labelling,
rule-based renderer... I would not mix this with different syntax.

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 13185 (20160316) __________

http://www.eset.com